My Body, My Choice
Resources for abortion. Because it’s your body and you choose for it.
We are active supporters of everyone’s reproductive rights, and we firmly believe everyone should have the choice to do with their own bodies as they judge best.
We only need look to the many countries where abortion is less accessible or illegal to be reminded of how imperative this issue is, like in Central and South America. Women across the globe struggle with financial, legal and social burdens when in need of an abortion.
You can visit Planned Parenthood Global to educate yourself about the difficulties many young Latin American women face and support in any way you can.
Talk about it
Talking with your peers and family members about your thoughts on abortion and female reproductive rights is valuable. It’s critical to let others know how you feel and facilitate open conversation about the subject, especially if they have different opinions.
While you don’t need to do this, if you find yourself with the energy and the right time and space to do so, you might be able to help someone in your close circle change their mind for the better.
Take care of yourself
As with all activism, it’s crucial to take care of yourself and not get too overwhelmed or anxious about what you’re aiming to change. Remember to take time to breathe and talk about how you’re feeling with others if it helps.
The world needs people pushing for change, and taking care of yourself will allow you to better show up for it. ;-)
- Pro-Choice America is a collective of more than 2.5 million members fighting for reproductive freedom for all. Since 1969 they have been working to propel political and cultural change through education, activism and state-level work.
Visit their site to donate and sign the pledge petitioning the proposal to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Find your local abortion fund to donate to.
- Youth Abortion Collective is a “nationwide network of young people committed to becoming expert resources on abortion and to making sure folks in our communities understand all the options and have the support they need.”
Visit their website to explore their resources, join and donate.
- The Latina Institute fights for equal access to reproductive health for Latina/x communities. They build bases for activists in states like New York and Florida and work to shape policy and provide resources and cultural exchange nationwide.
- Rachael Lorenzo started Indigenous Women Rising in 2014 as a campaign in response to indigenous women and people being denied access to Plan B, a form of emergency contraception.
You can donate to their abortion fund to help support these women in need that our government neglects.
“This was a huge issue considering the disproportionately high rates of domestic violence and sexual assault on reservations and the limited capability of tribes to prosecute non-Native offenders,” says Rachael Lorenzo (Mescalero Apache/Laguna Pueblo/Xicana).
- The Northwest Abortion Access Fund serves women in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska.
Visit their site to find a local clinic, donate and access their hotline for help.
If you find yourself in a situation where you are considering an abortion, we invite you to check out these resources for financial and emotional support.
If you are in the U.S. and need immediate help, please turn to these resources and hotlines:
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1–800–656–4673.
Online Hotline: http://apps.rainn.org/ohl-bridge/
- Safe Horizon: Sexual assault and abuse
For help with domestic violence, please call our domestic violence hotline: 800–621–HOPE (4673).
For help with rape and sexual assault, please call: 212–227–3000.
- If you are in Mexico, you can visit this local directory for the hotlines to the Center of Justice for Women in every city.
- For everyone else in Latin America and the Caribbean, you can visit the UN Women website to find your local office and support your community. Their mission is to dedicate resources, education and programs to the empowerment and gender equality of all women.
All humans should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. This is bodily autonomy 101, and we stand by it!
- ‘It’s a really scary time’: Abortion rights protesters rally across US after Supreme Court draft leak by Ryan W. Miller, Ella Lee, Trevor Hughes, Celina Tebor and Claire Thornton on USA TODAY (2022)
- Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion by Josh Gerstein and Alexander Ward on POLITICO. (2022)
- The Guttmacher Institute, The Public Health Impact of Legal Abortion: 30 Years Later (2003)
- Erosion of abortion rights gathers pace around the world as US signals new era by Weronika Strzyżyńska on The Guardian (2022)
To support our work at My Sex Bio and get your awesome hands at awesome perks, check our Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/mysexbio.
For as little as $3/month, you can support content creators, sex educators, sensual artists, and our mission to empower people with sex education. ♥️